In the children’s book Planting a Rainbow by Lois Ehlert, children are taken through the colorful world of gardens. Ehlert’s book shows how a rainbow can be right at your fingertips when you plant a garden of your own, as flowers and plants come in all shades and hues.
Planting a Rainbow By Lois Ehlert Craft Ideas for Kids
Here are a few kids crafts based on the book Planting a Rainbow, perfect for helping you dive a little deeper into the text and extend the learning. Here is the first craft to get you started!
Craft #1: Rainbow Garden Markers
Make your own garden markers, perfect for keeping your seedlings and garden flowers organized. The finished product looks just like the ones shown in the book, allowing children to feel a connection to the text and bring it to life.
- Wooden rainbow craft sticks
- Permanent marker
1. Take a look at the garden markers in the text. Notice how the name of each plant is written on the color stick it matches. For example, roses are on a red stick, violets on a purple stick, and so on.
2. Recreate these garden markers yourself using your supplies. Take the marker and write the names of your own garden plants and seedlings on the sticks. Match the name of each plant with the color stick it best goes with.
3. To use your garden markers, simply poke them into the ground next to your plantings. These are a great way to keep your garden organized!
This craft doesn’t just give you cool garden markers; it gives kids the chance to learn more about various plants and their colors. It also helps them practice classifying and identifying colors, which is always a valuable skill!
Gather your supplies and give these simple rainbow garden markers a try. They are a great way to get kids involved in the gardening process!
Craft #2 Miniature Fairy Garden
Fairy gardens are a great way to bring out the imagination in children and bring the fun of gardens indoors. After enjoying the book Planting a Rainbow by Lois Ehlert, take a few minutes to give this miniature fairy garden craft a try. We have created the base of the garden here, and children can add their own rainbow or faux and silk flowers.
- Terra cotta plant saucer
- Choice of craft paint
- Paint brush
- Craft moss
- Mini mushrooms (found in the doll house miniature section)
- Silk flowers of your choice
For your silk flowers, you can choose any you wish. Pick from some examples in the book, or use what you have on hand. We had a few tiny white ones to get us started. As the weeks go on we can “plant” a rainbow of others as we find them!
DecoArt DASK278 Crafter’s Acrylics Primary Sample PackSet of 2 Natural Terra Cotta Round Fat Walled Garden Planters with Individual TraysHeartybay 10Pieces Round Pointed Tip Nylon Hair Brush Set, BlueSuper Moss 26912 Spanish Moss Preserved, Grass, 8oz (200 cubic inch)
1. Begin by applying two coats of paint to the saucer. Use any color you wish and allow the paint to dry well.
2. Take the craft moss and place it in the saucer. Spread it out and flatten it so it is nice and even.3. Poke a few of the mini mushrooms into the moss. This will give it the fairy garden feel and add some charm.
3. Poke a few of the mini mushrooms into the moss. This will give it the fairy garden feel and add some charm.4. You can now start adding your flowers. We snipped a few tiny white flowers and tugged them into the moss. Start planting your rainbow by adding various silk flowers of your choice.
4. You can now start adding your flowers. We snipped a few tiny white flowers and tugged them into the moss. Start planting your rainbow by adding various silk flowers of your choice.
A fairy garden gives kids the chance to tend their own little garden, and it is especially fun to enjoy if planting outside isn’t an option yet. Give this easy and inexpensive fairy garden craft a try, and see how easy it can be to plant your own “rainbow” right in your own home.
Craft #3 Dollar Store DIY: Gardener’s Gift Pot
Now that you are excited to plant your own rainbow, why not get others excited too? Take a peek below at how to make this gardener’s gift pot, perfect for gifting to anyone who enjoys digging in the dirt.
- Washi tape
- Ceramic flower pot
- Tissue paper
- Assorted seed packets
IKEA ceramic plant pot, beige, pack of 2MOEUP 10pcs Washi Masking Tapes Sets DIY Scrapbooking Sticker1 X Brand New AQUA BLUE Tissue Paper 15100% CERTIFIED ORGANIC 12 Herb Set – Popular varieties of Easy to Grow Seeds – USDA Certified Seed Company
1. Begin by wrapping a length of washi tape around the flower pot. Smooth it out with your finger to remove and bubbles or wrinkles. This is such a quick and easy way to turn the pot from dull to fabulous.Take a piece of tissue paper and tuck it into the flower pot. Use any color you wish.
2. Take a piece of tissue paper and tuck it into the flower pot. Use any color you wish.Take the assortment of seed packets and tuck them into the pot as well. If you wish you can choose a seed packet that represents each color of the rainbow, or, use ones that you know the recipient will enjoy and use.
3. Take the assortment of seed packets and tuck them into the pot as well. If you wish you can choose a seed packet that represents each color of the rainbow, or, use ones that you know the recipient will enjoy and use.
Your gardener’s gift pot is now ready to give. As you can see, it is such a simple yet sincere gift that any gardener would love to get! It is also a great way to continue the gardening theme as explored in the book Planting a Rainbow.
All of these crafts are a fun way to enjoy Planting a Rainbow by Lois Ehlert long after the book is closed. Give these crafts a try and see how fun planting a rainbow can be.