Big thanks to Kayak Pools Midwest for sponsoring today’s post!
Summer is here. Everybody into the pool! Oh yeah. It’s pool party season. Hot days, warm water, and delicious treats are just waiting for us, folks. You know you feel it. Give in to the #PowerofthePool. Kayak Pools Midwest has put together a great pool party checklist – and I’ve got some yummy cupcakes to share with you!
Pool Party Cupcakes – Power for Pool Play
Pool parties are a blast, but let’s face it, even kids have to come out of the pool eventually. When they do, they’re going to be hungry, and nothing goes better with a summertime pool party than a nice sugar high. These Pool Party Cupcakes fit the bill. They’re the perfect thing to get the kids out of the pool for a few minutes and get some nom nom power into them for more pool play.
The secret to the awesomeness of these Pool Party Cupcakes is not only their deliciousness. It’s also in the presentation. I frosted these cupcakes in a beach umbrella design and then used pool party straw tags (which I’ve included) to complete the look. These cupcakes are ready for the pool, people! =D
Pool Party Presentation
Aside from the cupcake presentation, you need proper pool party swag. That means invitations, banners – the whole nine. Don’t worry! I’ve got you covered. Aside from this delicious Pool Party Cupcake recipe, I’ve included handy dandy printouts for the straw tags I just told you about, as well as invitations, circle tags, and ABC and 123 banners.
Click the files you wish to download:
- Cupcake Batter:
- 1½ Cups Flour (all-purpose)
- 1 Cup White Sugar
- ½ Cup Powdered Cocoa
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Milk (any Variety)
- ½ Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1.5 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Large Egg (beaten)
- Frosting: (You can substitute 2 store bought frostings if you prefer)
- 5 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 12 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter (1.5 Sticks)
- ⅔ Cup Milk (Full fat works best here)
- 2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Food Coloring - Red, Blue and Yellow
- Aqua Sixlets
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Place white cupcake liners in the muffin tins.
- In a large size mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk the milk, oil, vanilla and egg until smooth.
- Add the bowl of wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the muffins tins. Fill halfway.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cupcake.
- Cupcakes should cool for 30 minutes prior to frosting.
- While the cupcakes are baking, cream the butter then slowly add in the sugar mixture. Then add in the whipping cream followed by the vanilla. Whip until light and fluffy.
- Separate the frosting into 3 separate containers. Each will house a different color frosting. Add nothing to the white frosting.
- For the aqua frosting, add 16 drops of blue food coloring, 1 drop of yellow and 1 red. Adjust as needed.
- For the coral frosting, add 4 drops of red and 1 yellow. Adjust as needed.
- You want the frosting a bit “set” so put in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes while the cupcakes are cooling.
- Frost all the cupcake with the white frosting using a circular motion, similar to frozen yogurt, to construct the shape. Once all the cupcakes have been frosted place them in the fridge to solidify (approx. 30 minutes).
- Working with the coral first, shape two triangles using a small circle-shaped frosting tip. The triangles will be positioned across from each other when looking down at the top of the cupcake.
- Next do the same with the aqua, but make sure there are white triangles between the aqua and the coral. You want it to resemble a pool umbrella or beach ball!
- Use a toothpick to smooth out any blemishes or missed spots.
- Top the cupcake with an aqua colored Sixlets.
A Pool Party for the Ages
You want the first pool party of the year to be epic, so it’s a good thing you stopped by! All you need are these delicious Pool Party cupcakes, my printables, and a few other nom noms for variety, and you’ve got a spread that will get the out of the pool, powered up, and back in action for more pool party shenanigans!