How to Be More Productive at Work

Sharing is caring!

When you’re a working mom you can feel like you’re being pulled in all directions. Sometimes that leads to the feeling that you’re doing it all, but not necessarily doing it all well and that’s tough to grapple with.

You may feel like you’re giving a little to your job, a little to your family and a little to everything else that needs to be done. Yet, you’re not fully present in any of these places, and you’re struggling to stay afloat.

First, remember that you don’t actually have to do it all. No one can do everything, and sometimes one part of your life may be put on the back burner if you have to focus on something else.

Even so, there are things you can do to be more productive and focused when you are at work so that then you don’t bring work home or the stress of unfinished tasks doesn’t impede on your time with your kids.

The following are some tips to keep in mind to improve workplace productivity so you maximize your time there and then you can put more energy toward your family and your other interests.

work desk laptop

Give Yourself Alone Time At Work

If you feel like you’re always in conversations or people are interrupting you at work, it can be seriously affecting your productivity. Then, you’re not able to get done what you need to at work, so that carries over to other parts of your life.

If your office offers private cubicle spaces to work such as what’s offered by Sunline office furniture, opt for those instead of the collaborative areas. Give yourself at least a few hours in the office every day where your work has your undivided attention, and you let people know that you’re not available for talking or questions during those hours.

Know When You Do Your Best Work

We all have times of the day when we’re the most focused and we work the best, so take advantage of those times and schedule your day accordingly.

Not everyone’s most productive times will be the same, so you have to do what works for you. For example, maybe the morning is your best time. If so, do your hardest tasks that require the most effort and brainpower then. Save the easier things like answering emails for later in the day.

A lot of people find that if they do tackle their most important tasks right away in the morning, it helps them avoid procrastination as well. Even if morning isn’t your best work time if you can tackle the toughest items right away, you’ll probably find it’s going to help the rest of your day go more smoothly, and you’ll get more done overall.

Create a Distraction List

A lot of us will be in the middle of working on something and then we’ll think of something else—often entirely unrelated—maybe it deals with something else at work, or our kids and families. To keep these distracting thoughts under control, consider creating a distraction list.

If something comes to mind that you don’t want to forget, simply write it down so you don’t forget it later, but then forget it for the time being.

You can come back to your list later and figure out what needs to be done.

Utilize the 80/20 Rule

There are a lot of different methods and tactics for being more productive at work and in life. One of these is the 80/20 rule. This is a concept some people use for prioritizing tasks in their life, and it’s something that comes from economics.

To make it applicable to work, think about the most important 20 percent of your work and prioritize that. Then, look at the other 80 percent that maybe isn’t so important and find ways to eliminate it, automate it and cut down how much time you spend working on it.

Set Micro-Goals

Finally, another tactic to try is setting micro-goals. Sometimes we try to create goals that are too big, so they feel overwhelming. That can be discouraging so then we end up getting nothing done, and we head home at the end of the day to our kids feeling tired, defeated and distracted.

Instead of focusing on bigger or more long-term goals, work on creating what is called micro-goals. These are small things that you can achieve fairly easily. As you can mark micro-goals off your to-do list, you’re going to feel accomplished and likely more motivated as well.

Sharing is caring!

Speak Your Mind