Riley’s First Birthday!

Sharing is caring!

Above is a picture of my daughter, Riley, on her first birthday, which was March 14th.  🙂  It’s so hard to believe she’s 1 already!  It seems like just last week I gave birth to her.  LOL.

I figured that in honor of her first birthday, since I did not have this blog at the time, I would post my birth story.  So if you don’t want to read about it (it’s very G/PG rated, just so you know), don’t click to read the rest of the entry.

I’m just copying this from my LiveJournal account where I had originally posted it.

Sunday Miles and I got to the hospital at 11am to start the induction. They registered us and then put me in a Special Care OB room. I had a roommate, who was foreign, so I couldn’t really talk to her. They first gave me Cytotec to soften up my cervix. Then they just monitored me to see how things went. I apparently was having a bunch of contractions, I just wasn’t feeling them. Around 7:45pm I had to pee, so Miles helped me to the bathroom. Before I laid back down I sat up for a couple minutes because I was getting tired of laying down. All of a sudden I felt like I had a bunch of discharge coming out. I said to Miles, “Umm, I think my water may be breaking?” I reached down there and smelled what was coming out. It didn’t really smell like anything. I called my nurse. She came with a stick to check if it was amniotic fluid. It’s supposed to turn bright blue and it turned blue very slowly. They were waiting on a doctor to get out of surgery for a c-section, so it took about 10 minutes for her to check me. She put the speculum in and said, “Oh yeah, she’s definitely ruptured; I don’t even have to swab her.” She did swab me anyways, and it turned blue right away. So I got moved to labor and delivery!

Miles called his parents and my parents to let them know what was going on. Of course his family got in a panic and left right away. My parents headed in, too. My parents were there, as were Miles’ parents and his three sisters, plus his Aunt Joan and cousin Michael. My mom and mother-in-law, Theresa, were having fun watching the monitor to see when my contractions were coming. I have to kind of admit; it was neat watching it. But I had to feel them. Lol. They started getting a lot more painful around 12am, so I got my epidural. Around 2am I started feeling a lot of pressure, like I had to poop. The nurse checked me and I was 4-5 cm. dilated. The nurse came in around 3am and told the family that the cafeteria was open, so they a bunch of them went down to the cafeteria, including my parents and Theresa. About 20 minutes later I started getting A LOT of pressure. It was so uncomfortable. The nurse checked me and I was fully dilated. She started getting everything ready. Miles had to call his mom and my mom, since I wanted them there when I gave birth. They got up to the room as soon as they could.

The nurse had me push through my contractions from 3:30am until about 4am. It felt better pushing through them, but my body was already starting to get so tired. She had me stop for a little bit and had me sit up to kind of let the baby drop on her own. God, that was hard. Poor Miles was getting his hand squeezed good. He didn’t complain at all. He just kept telling me I was doing great and that everything was going to be fine. My OB got to the hospital around 4:30am. She was a lot of help. By 4:42am I delivered my babygirl. 🙂

Sharing is caring!


  1. oliver pies says

    we miss all of you

  2. oliver pies says

    we miss you

  3. Such a cutie! Stopping by to make your morning. Following your blog now. (Mommy of One and Counting)

Speak Your Mind